Friday 2 April 2021

The Problem with Easter

So in the midst of this Easter long weekend I find myself feeling out of touch with with the spirit of the holiday.

Not being a religious person, I do not celebrate this time of year as others may, in remembrance of Jesus and attending church. Instead I believe in following the changing patterns of the seasons in the wheel of the year. However even this is not such an easy thing for me living in Australia.

While the northern hemisphere can easily integrate celebrating Easter as the religious holiday along side Ostara as the seasonal celebration of Spring. We on the other side of the world are often times faced with images of bunnies and eggs at a time when Autumn is the prevailing season. I have even noticed that many Australian witches and pagan celebrate Ostara at Easter with the northern hemisphere. But this just doesn’t feel right to me.

So I am left with the problem of trying to decide if I should listen to what the whole world is telling me and ignore what is happening outside my window, or if I should listen to what I believe to be correct and follow the seasons where I live but feel like and outsider for doing so?

Wheel of the Year (Southern Hemisphere)

No comments:

Post a Comment